If you are looking for the best PhD & Doctorate Criminal Justice Schools and Programs then the Criminal Justice Online Blog is the best place to find them. Doctoral degrees in Criminal Justice & Criminology are available both online and off.
Even though I tend to focus on online programs, I strongly feel that a proper PhD / doctorate education is in order for the aspiring Law Enforcement administrators and academicians. To me, it’s just a matter of perspective.
Top PhD & Doctorate Criminal Justice / Criminology Schools for 2016
1. University of Maryland – (College Park): College Park, MD
2. SUNY – (Albany): Albany, NY
3. University of Cincinnati: Cincinnati, OH
4. Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey – (Newark): Newark, NJ
4. University of California – (Irvine): Irvine, CA
4. University of Missouri – (St. Louis): St. Louis, MO
7. Michigan State University: East Lansing, MI
7. Pennsylvania State University – (University Park): PA
9. University of Nebraska – (Omaha): Omaha, NE
9. University of Pennsylvania: Philadelphia, PA
11. CUNY, John Jay College: New York, NY
11. Florida State University: Tallahassee, FL
11. University of Florida: Gainesville, FL
14. Northeastern University: Boston, MA
14. University of Delaware: Newark, DE
16. American University: DC
16. Arizona State University: AZ
18. Temple University: Philadelphia, PA
18. Washington State University: WA
20. Indiana University: Bloomington, IN
20. University of Illinois – (Chicago): Chicago, IL
22. Sam Houston State University: Huntsville, TX
These ratings are not arbitrary, but rather compiled by U.S. News & World Reports. U.S. News is a very popular and trusted resource for students and parents looking for the best colleges & universities in the country and the world. You’ll often see their magazine on store shelves. It is filled with ratings, statistics, and other useful info, however it doesn’t get published often. I highly recommend picking it up next time you see it, or even better, you can see the ratings for yourself, online – there may be a nominal fee for this service.
Top Online PhD / Doctorate Criminal Justice Schools for 2016
At present, the online doctorate level education in Criminology and related fields is not up to my standards (read : Online PhD in Criminal Justice – it’ll explain a lot). Therefore you don’t see me endorsing too many universities and colleges of that kind.
Nova Southeastern University is offering potentially one of the first Criminal Justice PhD degree programs that is online and perhaps right on the money. Regardless, I still think you should consider your doctorate studies at a traditional setting (read the other article + comments at Online PhD in Criminal Justice for more on that). I hope that in the near future this will change and that both the traditional and online mode of learning will have the same “pot of gold at the end of the rainbow” (aka career opportunities).
In the end I am looking for a Doctoral program which will serve me well in my profession and in the academic field. Thus, it is my recommendation that you consider the traditional PhD schools, before you venture out online.
The only exception to this would be a national or private college / university offering an online Criminal Justice / Criminology program. Schools like University of Maryland, Rutgers, SUNY, University of Cincinnati, Michigan State University, and an ivy league favorite, University of Pennsylvania, would be just outstanding for my online doctorate needs. For now, we’ll just have to wait.
If you’re a quality, regionally accredited, academic institution offering or soon to be offering a PhD in Criminal Justice, please get in touch with me / participate in the discussion.
You might also like:
- Top Criminal Justice Schools in America for 2018
- Best Criminal Justice Schools in Pennsylvania
- How Long Does it Take to get a Homeland Security Degree?
- How Long Does it Take to Get a Criminology Degree?
- Best Criminal Justice Schools in California
- Why are Most Criminal Justice Degree Programs Offered Online Only
- Best Criminal Justice Schools in Arizona