I recently got an email from one of my loyal readers who told me “I don’t know what degree major to take on in college. I like the Criminal Justice field, but I don’t know if that’s what I want to pursue academically. Please Help.”
I chuckled a little bit and started going back in time to my ordeal of picking the “right” major. To be honest, I still don’t know if I took the right route, but I do know what I would have done if I had to do it all over again.
Here’s my take on it
- If you are on a brink of starting your college education then you might want to consider going to a community college first. This will help you establish a route to your major without the hassles of being forced to choose a specific degree program. This option is fairly cheap and takes about 2 years to complete. On top of that, majority of community colleges will grant you an associates degree, often it is an Associates Degree in General Studies.
- If you would like to, you can do this at a college or university of your choosing, granted they have an option that provides an Associates Degree in General Studies. Some of the online schools I write about offer online Associate Degrees in General Studies in about a year and a half. In any event, make sure they have proper accreditation.
- If you have chosen you degree path, but are not satisfied with it, I recommend cutting your losses and seriously reconsidering what is it that you want to do in life? I lost thousands of dollars because of not being sure of what I wanted to do. In the end, I am glad that I did so, rather than have to take on a career which will not satisfy my needs and wants.
- If you are at the end of your bachelor level college education, I recommend finishing the degree. A common sense answer, but it is vital, especially during these hard economic times. The only advice I can give you is to pick the right graduate degree <– this will even things out for you.
I hope this helps. Feel free to contact me if you are not sure what to do, or maybe to just drop a line.
Have you had problems picking your major in college? How did you solve the dilemma?
You might also like:
- Should I Major in Criminal Justice before Law School?
- Masters Degree in Criminal Justice from a Community College?
- In Law Enforcement Careers, are Online Degrees Accepted?
- How Many Criminal Justice Classes Do I Take at One Time
- AA or AS Criminal Justice Degree – What’s the Difference?
- Is a Criminal Justice Degree Major Hard to Complete?
- Best PhD & Doctorate Criminal Justice Schools & Programs