If you’re interested in a career in criminal justice or if you are already employed in the field, you may be happy to know that there are several colleges and universities that offer free criminal justice courses online. All of these courses are self-paced and require nothing more than an Internet connection. Although these courses cannot be taken for credit and do not result in any sort of degree, they are a good way to broaden your knowledge of criminal justice topics. Here are 10 free criminal justice courses to try today:
- Introduction to Security – This free criminal justice course from Weber State University introduces students to security topics. Covered topics include physical security, crime prevention, and loss control.
- Forensic Biology and Impression Evidence – Kaplan University offers this free online criminal justice course to students who want to learn more about forensic biology and the ways in which it is used to solve crimes. The course includes 10 self-guided units.
- Law and Society – The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) offers this free undergraduate level law course to self-learners who are interested in exploring the history and nature of law in society. The course includes lectures notes, assignments, and other study materials.
- Justice – This free online criminal justice course, also from MIT, teaches students about three contemporary theories of justice: Utilitarianism, Libertarianism, and Egalitarian Liberalism. Course materials include readings, lecture notes, and assignments.
- Introduction to Psychology – This free online course from Yale University offers a comprehensive introduction to psychology. Course materials include audio and video lectures as well as other study aids.
- Social Ethics – Dixie State College offers several free online courses including this ethics course. The course explores ethical theories and issues in current society.
- Substance Abuse and the Family – The University of Massachusetts – Boston offers this free criminal justice course to students who want to gain a better understanding of substance abuse and the impact it can have on families.
- Making and Using Rules – This free online criminal justice course from Open University explores how rules are made and interpreted. The course focus is on the English legal system but would be useful to anyone who wants to explore this topic.
- American National Security Policy – This free course from MIT asks students to analyze different aspects of America’s national security policy and policymakers. The course includes lecture notes, assignments, and readings.
- Issues in Foreign Policy After 911 – The University of California – Berkeley offers this free criminal justice course with an emphasis on foreign policy. The course consists of 13 separate webcasts.
Guest post from Karen Schweitzer who writes about colleges online for OnlineCollege.org.
You might also like:
- What Can I Do With an Online Criminal Justice Degree?
- High School Classes Needed for a Criminal Justice College
- University of Cincinnati: 12 Month Masters in Criminal Justice
- 17 Ways to Cut College Costs
- In Law Enforcement Careers, are Online Degrees Accepted?
- How Many Criminal Justice Classes Do I Take at One Time
- 10 Scholarships and Awards for Criminal Justice Majors